Did you know the franking machine was invented over 100 years ago? Created by Norwegian inventor, Engle Frankmussler, who wanted to solve the problem of security in the postal system, the franking machine is now a very popular piece of office equipment that can drastically improve efficiency.
If you’re considering getting a franking machine for your business but are unsure if it’s the right choice, read our guide below to find out what a franking machine is used for, how it works and how it can benefit your office.
What Is a Franking Machine Used For?
A franking machine is a device that allows businesses of all sizes to print postage on any letter or package, also known as ‘franking’. The machines all come with a Royal Mail licence, which means you can print and pay for the appropriate postage in the comfort of your office without needing to travel, queue or weigh your mail at the post office.
Not only does this save you time and several trips down to the post office a week, but it can also help you save up to 34% on postage costs too. These machines can also be used to print your company logo or slogan onto an envelope or label to make your letters look more professional.
How Does a Franking Machine Work?
So, how does a franking machine work exactly? We understand that if it’s your first time using a franking machine, it can be confusing. This is why we’ve listed each step below to make it as easy as possible for you to learn how a franking machine works.
- The first step when using a franking machine is to put your letter or parcel on the in-built scales. This will measure the exact weight of the mail so you can save money when it comes to selecting the correct postage.
- Then, on the machine, choose the size and service you require, whether it’s first or second class, for example.
- You can also add a message onto the mail, such as your company slogan or logo or what the contents of the mail include, like a sale, or if the package is urgent.
- The franking machine will automatically calculate the postage for you.
- Add the envelope or label for your parcel into the printer slot of the machine to be franked with the postage, date, company logo or message and unique barcode.
- Lastly, pop your mail into a postage bag and head down to your local post office or business posting box to drop it off. It’s that easy!
Read our post on how to use a franking machine for more detail.
How Will a Franking Machine Improve Efficiency?
There are many benefits of a franking machine for your office. As mentioned previously, a franking machine will help you to save costs on postage since you’ll be able to weigh the mail and know exactly which postage to select. It’s quite common for businesses without precise weighing capabilities to overpay for postage.
With a franking machine, you can also enjoy a postage discount from Royal Mail – the cost of first class franked postage is always cheaper than the equivalent standard post with a stamp. Plus, with how quick and simple it is to frank your mail and get it prepared for posting, efficiency within the office will be improved as employees won’t need to take trips to the post office and queue for the mail to be weighed and stamped. Simply frank mail yourself in the office and drop it off at the nearest post office or business posting box.
Some other benefits a franking machine will have in the office include:
- Quicker and more accurate than just applying stamps.
- Print your logo, return address or message on mail and packages for a more professional look and feel.
- A secure way to send professional documents.
- Delivery will be faster than standard post with franked mail as it’s classed as a high-priority business post.
Want to know more? Check out our blog on the advantages of having a franking machine.
Make the most of your post and learn more about our franking machines and mailing solutions by contacting our team today to chat about your needs.